japanese green tea cupcake recipe
March 17 doesn't only mean St. Patricks day around my house, my husband shares his birthday with this beloved holiday. One Interesting fact about St Patties Day: In modern-day Ireland, St. Patrick's Day has traditionally been a religious occasion. In fact, up until the 1970s, Irish laws mandated that pubs be closed on March 17. Beginning in 1995, however, the Irish government changed this law, and last year, close to one million people took part in Ireland 's St. Patrick's Festival in Dublin. Pretty interesting considering everyone in the states associates the day with drinking.
Since it was the hubby's birthday, it was his choice of cupcake flavors and living in Japan he has become very fond of Green Tea. So one day while at the local Japanese grocery store we came a crossed a package of powdered green tea a.k.a matcha, and he requested a green tea cupcake.
This cupcake is meant for green tea lovers. Its green, moist, earthy and sweet. When looking for recipes I noticed a lot of people complained that they couldn't taste the greed tea. A good quality matcha powder will help your cupcake take on the green tea flavor, I found a great recipe that I tweaked a little by adding some more matcha powder and came up with a awesome matcha cream cheese frosting. This is a excellent cupcake for st. patty's day because of course its green ;) but you can make this cupcake anytime where a cup of tea would be better eaten as a cupcake.Matcha Cupcakes with Matcha Cream Cheese Frosting
Yields: 15-24 cupcakes (depends on the size paper liners you use)
2 cups flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 oz (1 stick plus 2 table spoons) unsalted butter, at room temp
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
2/3 cups milk
2-3 tablespoons matcha powder
- preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake pans with paper liners
- In a small bowl combined your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, and matcha powder, whisk together and set aside.
- In a electric mixer beat your butter and sugar together until light and fluffy about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs in one at a time until each one is fully incorporated.
- Add in the dry ingredients and milk in 3 batches alternating between the two until all is incorporated.
- Fill your cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake at 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
isn't green pretty
Matcha Cream Cheese Frosting
Oshii Treats Original
6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temp
8 oz cream cheese
4 cups powdered sugar
1 table spoon milk
2-3 tablespoons matcha powder (depends on how much green tea taste you like)
- In a electric mixer combine your butter and cream cheese and beat on high until smooth about 3 minutes.
- Add in your powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until full incorporated, adding in your milk to help thin it out.
- Mix in your matcha powder and whip on high until mixed throughly and fluffy about another 3-4 minutes.